Welcome to the dental practice of Dr. Gene Hassell, where our commitment to excellence is matched only by our dedication to your oral health. With years of experience and a reputation for precision, we proudly offer a range of dental services. Among our essential offerings is the expertise in wisdom teeth extraction in Pflugerville.
Understanding the Wisdom Behind Wisdom Teeth
Wisdom teeth, colloquially termed as third molars, are a bit of a dental mystery. These teeth typically emerge between the tender ages of 17 and 25. While they were once a valuable asset to our ancestors, helping them grind down plant tissue, they’re now more redundant given our diet’s evolution. For many individuals, these teeth can be more trouble than they’re worth.
Why the Need for Wisdom Teeth Extraction in Pflugerville?
The human jaw has undergone changes over time. With the evolution of our diet, our jaws have become smaller, often not leaving adequate space for the wisdom teeth to emerge healthily. Due to this space constraint, wisdom teeth may emerge at awkward angles or might not fully emerge, leading to partial eruptions or complete impactions.
When wisdom teeth are angled, it can have ramifications, such as:
- Crowding: Pushing neighboring teeth out of alignment.
- Infection: Partially erupted teeth can trap food and bacteria, leading to painful infections.
- Cysts: Occasionally, a fluid-filled sac, or cyst, can form around the base of an impacted wisdom tooth, leading to bone or root damage.
Given these potential issues, it’s evident why so many dental professionals, including Dr. Hassell, often recommend the removal of problematic wisdom teeth.
The Extraction Experience with Dr. Gene Hassell
Understanding the procedure can significantly alleviate any anxiety or reservations about the extraction process.
- Consultation: Before any extraction, a thorough consultation is essential. Dr. Hassell employs advanced imaging techniques to get a clear view of the positioning of your wisdom teeth, assessing the best approach for removal.
- Anesthesia Choices: The comfort of our patients is paramount. Depending on the complexity of the extraction and patient preference, local anesthesia, sedation, or general anesthesia may be employed.
- The Extraction: Once the area is numbed, an incision is made in the gum tissue to expose the tooth and bone. Any bone obstructing access to the tooth root is removed, and then the tooth is extracted. Sometimes, for easier removal, the tooth may be divided into sections.
- Closure and Healing: The site might require stitches to promote healing. Over time, the gum heals, and the bone can regenerate.
Post-Extraction Care: Ensuring Smooth Recovery
The post-extraction phase is crucial for optimal healing.
- Rest: It’s essential to take it easy for a few days, avoiding any strenuous activities.
- Diet: Soft foods, cold foods, and ample hydration are recommended. Avoiding hot, spicy, or crunchy foods can prevent discomfort and potential injury to the healing site.
- Oral Hygiene: While direct rinsing of the extraction site should be avoided initially, maintaining oral hygiene with gentle brushing is crucial. Saltwater rinses can be introduced after the first 24 hours to keep the area clean.
- Medication: Follow Dr. Hassell’s advice regarding pain management, which might include prescribed medications or over-the-counter pain relievers.
FAQs on Wisdom Teeth Extraction
Call Us Today to Schedule an Appointment!
At Dr. Gene Hassell’s practice, we believe in a comprehensive approach to dental care. Whether it’s wisdom teeth extraction in Pflugerville or any other dental service, our goal remains consistent: to ensure the health, well-being, and comfort of our patients.
With years of experience and a reputation built on trust and expertise, wisdom teeth extractions are carried out with the utmost precision and care. We’re here to guide, support, and ensure that your journey towards optimal dental health is smooth and comfortable.
If you’re experiencing discomfort from your wisdom teeth or wish to have a consultation, reach out to us at 512-251-7503 or schedule an appointment through our contact form. If you are new in Pflugerville. check out this driving direction to our dental clinic. With state-of-the-art equipment, a team of dedicated professionals, and a warm, patient-centric approach, your dental health couldn’t be in better hands.